Despite a resurgence of COVID-19 cases and renewed lockdowns in many regions, markets trended upward during the fourth quarter of 2020, boosted by growing clarity around the outcome of the U.S. presidential election and significant COVID-19 vaccine progress.
FOURTH QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
- • S&P/TSX Composite hits 9-month high of 17,684.1 on December 17th
- • S&P 500 hits record high of 3,760.2 on December 31st
- • Canadian dollar hits 32-month high of $0.7880 USD on December 17th
- • WTI Oil hits 10-month high on December 18th closing at $49.24 USD
- • Bank of Canada maintains overnight rate at 0.25% in Q4