Investors had lots to cheer by the end of Q1 as stocks rallied, bond yields fell, central bank hiking slowed and inflation cooled again. It’s a promising start to 2023 but there were a few shocks along the way.
FIRST QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
- • S&P/TSX Composite hits 8-month high of 20,843.20 on February 2nd
- • S&P 500 hits 5-month high of 4,195.44 on February 2nd
- • Canadian dollar range bound in Q1 closing at $0.7395 USD on Mar 30th
- • WTI Oil hits 16-month low of $66.93 USD on March 17th
- • Bank of Canada increases overnight rate by 0.25% to 4.50% in Q1